In 2017, Holstein Ontario and The Ontario Judges Committee were pleased to introduce a new Judging Program. The mission was to identify, develop and promote the best Judges in Ontario. After several years of discussions, a “Level System” for Judges has been developed. Judges have been assigned a level, based upon their experience and skill from Level 1 to Level 5. Level 5 being the elite level of Judges in Ontario. A new Judges Training Program called JEP, will monitor future potential Judges, that meet the necessary criteria to advance to Level 1. Judges who excel and meet the standards outlined in the program may be advanced to the higher levels.
One of the cornerstones of the program, is to match the size and description of each show to the individual Judge’s approved level. To achieve this, we are asking 4-H Leaders, Show Committees, and Fair Boards to select the suggested level of Judge, to match the size and characteristics of each show. This will benefit our Judges by providing them with the optimum experience for development, and give the individuals who are selecting a Judge, added information and more confidence in their selection. Here is a link to help those who are “Selecting a Judge for a 4-H Club Show” and a link for “Selecting a Judge for a County Show”.
The new program will also introduce a mentoring system to further the development of our Judges. A Mentor will evaluate the younger Judge during a show. After the show, the Mentor will offer comments or recommendations and file an assessment report with the Ontario Judges Committee. The Committee will monitor each Judge’s development and consider future advancement based upon qualifications, mentor assessments and an interview.
The new program is designed to help develop and promote judging excellence at every level. For a complete outline of the new Judging Program, follow the link “New Program for Judges for 2017”. If you have questions or need assistance selecting a Judge, please contact a member of the Ontario Judges Committee or an Holstein Ontario Field Representative.
- Level 1 Judge capable of judging 4-H Club Shows, Breeders Cup, Twilight & Barn Meetings
- Level 2 Judge capable of judging 4-H Club County Shows, larger Heifer only Shows & smaller County Shows
- Level 3 Judge capable of judging 4-H Regional Shows, County Shows & some International assignments
- Level 4 Judge capable of judging 4-H Championship Shows, County Holstein Shows, Regional Championship Shows, National & International Shows
- Level 5 Judge has judged at the highest level
- Dan Doner (Chairman) email@example.com cell: 905-259-4142 East Central Ontario
- Brian Carscadden firstname.lastname@example.org cell: 519-546-1194 West Central Ontario
- Herb Henderson email@example.com cell: 613-795-5115 Eastern Ontario
- Dave Johnston firstname.lastname@example.org cell: 519-291-8693 Holstein Ontario Director
- Doug Karn email@example.com cell: 519-536-1463 Western Ontario